Saturday, October 11, 2008

Maintain boundaries...

To remember to read the book "Boundaries" at least once a month! What I will try to remember from the book is that I am only responsible for my emotions (eg sadness) and can not be responsible for another person's emotions (eg happiness). They are responsible for their emotions. I should always always act in a moral and ethical way but I can not hold myself responsible for someone else's feelings. I am still very uncomfortable with this idea for now, so I need to dwell on it for a while...

1 comment:

Atmosphering said...

Hmmm.. Unfortunately I haven't read the book, however this idea puts me in the same dilemma as when reading Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" and her philosophy of reason. I guess the trick for dealing with it might lie in the word "responsible" and our interpretation hereof. To me at least the notion of not being responsible for things you can impact is ethically alarming. Is the question then if you can impact it or not? If I should accept not taking responsibility should I then try to impact at all? intriguing...